Re: HT configure an IDE/ATAPI ZIP drive?

At 06:26 PM 12/13/00 -0600, you wrote:
You're right. I want to eject the disk, whether that's by hardware
button or software utility. Other features work fine. I've tried (in
configuring the kernel) IDE floppy, but I can find no option for "IDE
Removable." Where is that located.

Under Block Devices
< >    Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support

(I called it by the wrong name sorry)  Heres the help for it:
  x CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY:                                               x
  x                                                                         x
  x If you have an IDE floppy drive which uses the ATAPI protocol,          x
  x answer Y. ATAPI is a newer protocol used by IDE CDROM/tape/floppy       x
  x drives, similar to the SCSI protocol.                                   x
  x                                                                         x
  x The LS-120 and the IDE/ATAPI Iomega ZIP drive are also supported by     x
  x this driver. (ATAPI PD-CD/CDR drives are not supported by this          x
  x driver; support for PD-CD/CDR drives is available if you answer Y to    x
  x "SCSI emulation support", below).                                       x
  x                                                                         x
  x If you say Y here, the FLOPPY drive will be identified along with       x
  x other IDE devices, as "hdb" or "hdc", or something similar (check       x
  x the boot messages with dmesg).

Then reboot, and your ZIP drive should be identified as /dev/hdc or hdd or similar.

I've also tried the "SCSI Emulation Support" suggested by Pascal, but
that didn't solve the problem either.
I've also tried (after enabling SCSI emulation) jazip suggested by
Eric, to no avail.

The only time SCSI emulation is required when it comes to IDE is CD Writers, and I don't know why.

And lastly, I did apt-get install cdtool, and cdeject -d /dev/hdc
doesn't work, but rather yields this message:
cdeject: ioctl cdromeject

Try the above and it should work.

--
Criggie