Re: The truth about PSM and other XPI's

Damon Muller wrote:

> Quoth Sebastian Silva,
>
> > The thing is the default permissions for /usr/lib/mozilla are too
> > tight.  Mi solution was simply to give it all the permissions it wants
> > (of course NOT setuid). Now the other thing is that Mozilla wont
> > download the X-install packages himself. You have to do it for him.
> > That means using wget to fetch the xpi file (this is also valid for
> > themes).
>
> I've actually found that mozilla *does* download the xpi files, it just
> says that it isn't. PSM is a pretty big download (don't remember how
> long), and it takes a while to download. However, on recent nightlies of
> Mozilla (and much older versions, from memory), it displays the dialog
> saying something like `connecting to site' whilst it is actually
> downloading it. You can see the file if you look in /tmp. If you're
> patient, I've found that it will install eventually (go and have a
> coffee/tea/beer while you're waiting).
>
> FWIW, I just unzip the package as my username into /usr/local/mozilla,
> but I'm the only user on my system, so I can do that...

Am I alone in not having problems?  I installed the mozilla .deb.  Then,
as root, ran Mozilla and followed the directions to install PSM.  Once
done, I exited out of Mozilla, ran it under my user account, and had PSM
& SSL working fine.

Hopefully, when M19 comes around PSM will no longer be an extra step,
but there will always be some XPI's that are.  I don't want users to be
able to install XPI's, so doing it as root works just fine for me.

-Gleef