Re: The truth about PSM and other XPI's

Quoth Sebastian Silva,

> The thing is the default permissions for /usr/lib/mozilla are too
> tight.  Mi solution was simply to give it all the permissions it wants
> (of course NOT setuid). Now the other thing is that Mozilla wont
> download the X-install packages himself. You have to do it for him.
> That means using wget to fetch the xpi file (this is also valid for
> themes).

I've actually found that mozilla *does* download the xpi files, it just
says that it isn't. PSM is a pretty big download (don't remember how
long), and it takes a while to download. However, on recent nightlies of
Mozilla (and much older versions, from memory), it displays the dialog
saying something like `connecting to site' whilst it is actually
downloading it. You can see the file if you look in /tmp. If you're
patient, I've found that it will install eventually (go and have a
coffee/tea/beer while you're waiting).

FWIW, I just unzip the package as my username into /usr/local/mozilla,
but I'm the only user on my system, so I can do that...

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,