Re: Solved! Re: isdn4linux -> dialling uses (my) local area code

>>Are you sure your isdn.conf is read when using
>>"isdnctrl dial ippp0"?
>Positive. Remove whatever content you are assigning
>to AREACODE (i.e. so that the isdn.conf line just reads
>AREACODE=
>and you should see an error message in the log
>(proving that the file is being read - don't forget to
>restart the machine, though maybe there is a way to
>restart only the isdn subsystem). Ahh, wait, I don't
>do a manual "isdnctrl dial ippp0", as I am using the
>autodial feature. But still, I think isdn.conf is read
>before that? Maybe Paul Slootman could comment.

To only restart the isdn system you should look for:
"/etc/init.d/isdnutils restart"

isdn.conf is read by the isdnlog app which a helpful guy on the
de.alt.comm.isdn4linux newsgroup told me. I didn't configure the
isdnlog startup yet because I unfortunatly do not know how to, the
isdnlog manual reports it should be launched shortly after hisax. In
my case it does not. Isdnlog is a separate app which monitors the ISDN
connection and seems to have some very helpful features. The program
gains the information with the help of the D-channel and therefor
needs isdn.conf for its own independant work. I didn't read any
further in the manual yet, so I can't tell you more.

>Do you see /anything/ in the log? I noticed that the file which my
>isdn.conf specifies as the log is not the same as the entry in
>isdnlog.isdnctrl0, which I consider odd but since it works as is I'm
>not going to touch it. If you don't see anything in the log maybe you
>are looking in the wrong place, or do not have isdnlog.isdnctrl0
>setup? This evening I will send the isdnlog setup I have, as I don't
>have it to hand at present.

I only retrieved the information out of /var/log/messages but I would
recommend to read the isdnlog manual (locate isdnlog). If you do not
happen to have this, I'll send the files.

>>I'm quite sure that only device.ippp0 is read when using isdn4linux
>>which comes with potato (I'm just placing a simular question on this
>>list).
>Which, oddly, I did not see. In fact I notice that I don't see quite
>a few messages (I just see replies to them). Is it the list that's
>fscked, or this email system?

No wonder :-), I sent this inquiry to the mentioned NG instead because
I have the impression Debian users are not that familiar with ISDN.

Gary, are you using WINE on your system? I made a inquiry on this list
refering to a path problem (Subject "path error using wine") but
unfortunatly no one responded.

Best Regards

Robert