Re: configuring kdm or gdm to see both kde and gnome

Hi,

On 11-Dec-2000 mario wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2000 20:13, Anderson, Tim       TL33E wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to have both KDE and GNOME (helix) in my display manager's
>> session
>> menu (I'm not bothered which one I use).  I thought this would be
>> quite
>> simple but after looking through docs, config files and mailing list
>> archives I'm still not sure what to do.   Can anyone give me some
>> help,
>> background knowledge or link to a HOWTO that I've missed?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tim
>
> the config file of gdm is in /etc/gdm. Under /etc/gdm/Sessions/ are
> executable shell scripts that describe the types of sessions you can
> start
> from the login screen. Each file here shows up as a menu entry in the
> login
> screen's session menu. Ideally here you should place a file "kde" that
> does
> all the necessary initialization for a kde session, but I don't know
> what
> should be the content for kde. Probably kdm installs such a  file
> somewhere
> too, so maybe you could use that (Can someone step in here, thanks?).

Simply adding "gnome-session" (either manually in /etc/kde2/kdm or via
the session manager of kde (as root)) allows to execute that command via
the selection in kdm. Initially this started the gnome environment, but
without a window-manager. But if you start gnome control center (or via
commandline might also work), you can use the windowmanager applet, which
allows you to chose which Windowmanager you want. That is then also saved
in the session management of gnome-session, so the next time you start
gnome session it will start the chosen window-manager too.
Works for me.

Thorsten

--
                               \\|//