Re: Debian is not for me

Clayton Stapleton wrote:

> Yes! Debian is not for me. It does not recognize my sound card even though
> two other OS do (Win98 and SuSe6.4), that are on this same computer. There
> is no clear cut instructions on how to make this possible. I have read the
> Sound Howto and that still leaves me guessing. Then there is the printer
> and that is the same story. I installed Cups and there is no printer drivers
> available. You need to go and find a printer filter and that tells you to find
> the printer drivers elsewhere with no clear cut instructions. I can can get
> my mouse to work in Gnome with Icewm but then I have to go to a console
> to kill gpm so that it moves around in Gnome. So no thanks I will stick
> with distro's that have better instructions.
> Clay Stapleton

  after you need to update your system few times you will see that it's
pain in the *ss with most distros (judging by what you wrote it's going
to be probably impossible for you as the problems you encounter are much
harder to solve than the ones you describe). that's where debian shines.

  the installation is quite painful (as far as I can tell) but you do it
once. however yu update/upgrade your system many times.

  of course, you don't have to use debian. use some other distro that
you like. I liked slackware a lot but neverending upgrade troubles
finally got me to switch to debian.

  btw problems you are writing about are being worked on (autodetection
of HW, easier installation etc.).

	erik