Which X is running?

I recently did an apt-get upgrade on my system. Sadly, this completely
broke X. To fix things, I manually installed task-x-window-system-core
since apt-get was holding it back. I configured the system during the
set up script and X still wouldn't start claiming that the
configuration files were wrong. I ran XF86Setup and reconfigured X,
and though it could successfully start the X server, startx would
still fail claiming that the configuration script was wrong. I then
installed xserver-svga and now X starts fine. However, I'm curious if
I'm running X 4 or 3.x.

dpkg claims:
ii  xserver-common 4.0.1-10       files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-common 3.3.6-18       files and utilities common to XFree86 3.x X
ii  xserver-svga   3.3.6-18       X server for SVGA graphics cards
ii  xserver-vga16  3.3.6-11       X server for VGA graphics cards
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.0.1-10       the XFree86 X server

But I know for a fact that an unpatched XF86_SVGA for 3.3.6 doesn't
work correctly with my video card (s3 savage 4) so I don't think it's
using 3.3.6, but 4 seemed to fail until I installed xserver-svga
3.3.6-18. How can I tell what's running?