Re: configuring kdm or gdm to see both kde and gnome

On Monday 11 December 2000 20:13, Anderson, Tim       TL33E wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to have both KDE and GNOME (helix) in my display manager's session
> menu (I'm not bothered which one I use).  I thought this would be quite
> simple but after looking through docs, config files and mailing list
> archives I'm still not sure what to do.   Can anyone give me some help,
> background knowledge or link to a HOWTO that I've missed?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

the config file of gdm is in /etc/gdm. Under /etc/gdm/Sessions/ are
executable shell scripts that describe the types of sessions you can start
from the login screen. Each file here shows up as a menu entry in the login
screen's session menu. Ideally here you should place a file "kde" that does
all the necessary initialization for a kde session, but I don't know what
should be the content for kde. Probably kdm installs such a  file somewhere
too, so maybe you could use that (Can someone step in here, thanks?).
Alternatively (quick & dirty fix) just do this:
1. create a file .xsession in your home directory
2. In the first line of the file write:

#!/bin/sh

exec startkde

3. chmod u+x .xsession

4. cp /etc/X11/Xsession /etc/gdm/Sessions/Kde

Then, when you use Kde as session type it should work.

Greetings