Re: Questions i can't answer

On Tuesday 12 December 2000 10:55, Carson Christian wrote:
> I have partitioned a separate physical disk into 3 partitions: /hdb1 is 3GB
> for my root. /hdb5 is 800MB for /usr, and /hdb6 is 128MB for swap. My
> primary OS is Win2k Pro. I want to be able to dual-boot when it's all said
[...]
> First: is this partition scheme OK before i continue?
I'd say reverse the sizes of the root and /usr partitions.  /usr is where
most of the big programs go (X windows, user aplications, etc...).  The root
(/) partition is more of the most basic system utilities needed to have the
OS run.  If that is your partitioning scheme, the sizes are about right if
you reverse them like I suggest.  Once you've installed, run apt-get clean
periodically to clean out the downloaded package files that will be in /var.

> Second: will dual booting be easy to accomplish? if so, how?
It can be tricky for anything above win98.  Lilo, the primary boot loader for
Linux and older Windows OS's, wants to reside in the place the Win2k has
taken over.  There are howto documents on having NT co-exist with Lilo, so
I'd suggest reading them ( http://www.linuxdoc.org ).

> Third: Why can't it find the files?
Does the directory contain the "base*" files?  They are needed to do the
installation.  It's possible that you _might_ be able to do a network install
with just the boot and root disks (or the cd), but I'm not sure if you can do
that if you've got to use ppoe (ppp over ethernet, common for most DSL
configurations).

Let us know what you see when it's asking about the base system, and we'll be
able to help more.

> I'm sorry if these are simple dumbo questions, but the documentation has
> not helped me in these areas.
Debian is not the EASIEST Linux distro to install, but once installed and
configured, it can be the most stable and easy to maintain of the all (and
this from 6 years of RedHat, and 2 years of Slackware before that which is
where I got started).

> BTW my system specs are:

[...]
> SMC Network
Does this card show up in the supported list?  I probably does, but just make
sure before you get too deep into the network setup.

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.