Questions i can't answer

Ok here goes. I am an experienced PC user. I've been into it since the days
of 486SX chips. I have had in interest in Linux for quite some time, but
have always hit serious walls when trying to get it set up. I have tried
Caldera's distro, about 2 years ago on a 486 and found it basically useless.
I've tried Corel's distro, but got so ticked trying to get X running
properly that I gave up. Now for the first time I am trying Debian. I now
have a cable connection to the internet, so winmodem support is no longer an
issue as i can just use direct TCP/IP.

I have partitioned a separate physical disk into 3 partitions: /hdb1 is 3GB
for my root. /hdb5 is 800MB for /usr, and /hdb6 is 128MB for swap. My
primary OS is Win2k Pro. I want to be able to dual-boot when it's all said
and done, which is why i've used 2 physical disks to try to keep things sep.
and clean.

I have downloaded the latest disribution and burned it to CD. When i try to
install debian however (after the partitioning/keyboard steps) it says it
cannot find the files it needs on the CD in /images-1.44/. the directory
exists, and the files should be there as i have not modified the structure.
My rescue and root disks work ok. I'm using the "vanilla" package.

First: is this partition scheme OK before i continue?
Second: will dual booting be easy to accomplish? if so, how?
Third: Why can't it find the files?

I'm sorry if these are simple dumbo questions, but the documentation has not
helped me in these areas.

BTW my system specs are:

PIII 500 (DELL)
128MB RAM