Re: Quality of Helixcode's Debian Packages (was: Re: spidermonkey.helixcode.com down?)

"Rogerio" == Rogerio Brito <rbrito@iname.com> writes:

> On Dec 04 2000, Willy Lee wrote:
>> Anyone else seeing this?

> 	Well, I don't have any problems connecting to spidermonkey,
> but I'd like to bring up a new point: is there anybody else besides
> me that is a bit annoyed with the fact that many of Helixcode's
> packages are not well polished?

> 	The problem that I'm referring to is that a lot of packages
> seem to have duplicate files, that is, there are some packages that
> try to overwrite other package's files.

> 	I just tried installing Helixcode's Gnome on a brand new
> potato installation and I've received loads and loads of warnings
> from apt/dpkg about this problem. Unfortunately, the only packages
> that I can remember having this problem are libgnomeprint* (and,
> more precisely, the i18n files).

> 	Are there other people seeing this problem or is it a problem
> with me? (Of course, if it is indeed a problem with HC's packages,
> then the solution would be to split the packages to avoid them doing
> wrong things).

After I was able to connect to spidermonkey, I had exactly this
problem, which scared the heck out of me (not used to seeing pages of
dpkg warnings after doing apt-get anything!)

However, after the dust settled, I was very impressed.  Haven't run
Gnome since 1.0 days, and things are much better (1.0 quality, even ;)

=wl

--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of