Re: Quality of Helixcode's Debian Packages (was: Re: spidermonkey.helixcode.com down?)

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 09:17:30PM -0200, Rogerio Brito wrote:
> On Dec 04 2000, Willy Lee wrote:
> > Anyone else seeing this?
>
> 	Well, I don't have any problems connecting to spidermonkey,
> 	but I'd like to bring up a new point: is there anybody else
> 	besides me that is a bit annoyed with the fact that many of
> 	Helixcode's packages are not well polished?
>
> 	The problem that I'm referring to is that a lot of packages
> 	seem to have duplicate files, that is, there are some packages
> 	that try to overwrite other package's files.
>
> 	I just tried installing Helixcode's Gnome on a brand new
> 	potato installation and I've received loads and loads of
> 	warnings from apt/dpkg about this problem. Unfortunately, the
> 	only packages that I can remember having this problem are
> 	libgnomeprint* (and, more precisely, the i18n files).
>
> 	Are there other people seeing this problem or is it a problem
> 	with me? (Of course, if it is indeed a problem with HC's
> 	packages, then the solution would be to split the packages to
> 	avoid them doing wrong things).

yes i installed helix on one debian potato box.  the helix packages
are very very poorly made, i am NOT going to install helix packages
ever again, instead i think upgrading to woody would be a better
choice.  when you upgrade to woody you get current gnome packages
which negates the need for helix.

the only point of running helix is to get up to date gnome packages on
potato, since woody has the current packages already there is no need.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/