Re: exim+fetchmail

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 11:31:11AM -0500, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> 1) I have two ISP providers. I choose one of them when I establish the
> dial-up connection. But in the
> exim's configuration file there is room for only one ISP. If I want to
> change the ISP should I have to edit
> the exim's config file?  is there a way exim stores the information for
> several ISPs and, at dial-up time, inform
> to exim to what ISP I am connecting to?

I don't think this should matter as far as recieving mail goes. If you wish to
change what address appears when you send messages you have to change the
rewrite rules at the bottom of your /etc/exim.conf. More on that if that is
what you need.

> 2) When fetchmail retrieves the email from the ISP to my machine, is exim
> who delivers them to my
> /var/spool/mail/account file?
I could be wrong, but I think it is exim as fetchmail is supposed to grab mail
off of the server and then deliver it locally via SMTP.

> 3) is exim automatically called when I establish the dial-up connection?

Don't think so.

> 4) why the MUAs programs (for example balsa or xfmail) don't need a MTA
> for retrieve the
> messages from the ISP (at last with pop3) but they need a MTA for sending
> the emails (via smtp)?

Most MUA's don't need anything to retrieve mail (mutt doesn't either, but
fetchmail is the better option).  I've never used xfmail, but I though balsa
had an option where you could set it to use your isp's smtp server, bypassing
the need for a local MTA.

Hope some of that helped.

-Rob