PSGML problems since upgrade

Ever since I upgraded from Mandrake to Debian I have been getting the
following errors from XEmacs psgml-mode:

Docbook documents:

/usr/lib/sgml/entities/ISOamsa line 11 col 22 entity ISOamsa
/usr/lib/sgml/entities/docbook-3.1/dbcent.mod line 54 col 9 entity dbcent
/usr/lib/sgml/dtd/docbook-3.1/docbook.dtd line 69 col 8 entity BOOK
/home/hgebel/development/PyBackup/doc/doctest.sgml line 1 col 54
Delimiter MDC (>) expected; at: "[cularr]"--

HTML documents:

/usr/lib/sgml/entities/HTMLlat1 line 12 col 22 entity HTMLlat1
/usr/lib/sgml/dtd/html-4.01-loose.dtd line 174 col 10 entity HTML
/home/hgebel/development/PyBackup/doc/test.html line 1 col 62
Delimiter MDC (>) expected; at: " " --

I reformated all of my partitions except /home , so all of the files in
other partitions are installed from .deb packages. Since I kept my old home
directory I thought it might be a problem with an old configuration file;
but I created a new user and got the same problem when logged in as that
user.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? I wish I knew more about
psgml (and sgml in general) internals so I could figure it out on my own,
but I don't.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, ICQ# 76308382
West Dover Hundred, Delaware