Re: Why not dselect?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:27:13AM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 06:47:29PM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> >
>     Actually, I meant before I even select anything. I fire up dselect, and it
> has already marked packages for installation, upgrade, removal, etc. I haven't
> done a thing yet and it's making decisions. That's the part that I don't like.

Yes, it's a bit annoying, especially if you have a slow connection like me
and dont want/need the latest of everithing.

> Can someone justify this behaviour, and tell me how to disable it in case I'd
> like to think for myself?

When you update the list of packages, either with apt or dselect, all packages
 that you have installed are marked for upgrade, if newer version is availabile.
This is the only 'autonomous' decision of dselect I'm aware of.
To prevent this, you can put in hold (=) packages that you don't want
to upgrade (you can also put in hold whole sessions, pressing = while being
on a session header line).

Ciao.
-----
FB