Why not dselect?

Humor me; I think I'm missing something and it's got me curious.

In discussions about dealing with .deb packages, apt* and dpkg are
mentioned almost universally.

It's always been my habit to use dselect for basic installation and
removal, leaning on apt* and dpkg for troubleshooting and extended
information gathering.

The differentiation seems to be akin to using mutt versus piping
things to /usr/bin/mail - you can do most basic tasks in both places,
but mutt's presentation makes for quick work.

Why so much apt and dpkg and so little dselect?