Re: Why not dselect?

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 07:37:51PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:15:37AM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> >
> > Why so much apt and dpkg and so little dselect?
>
>     Personally, the fact that dselect sets packages to a new desired state
> without my telling it to makes me want to stay away from it. Seems like a fine
> tool otherwise.
>     BTW, is there a way to keep it from doing this??

When you select a package and dselect jumps to a new screen, the
second column of states is the current state, and the 3rd is the
resulting state, including all packages needed to resolve
dependencies. Only packages affected by this transaction appear in the
list.

If you don't want to accept the changes, you hit 'R' to bring
everything back to the previous state. (Revert) or 'D' force the
settings you chose (Damnit, Ian! Like THIS!)

If you want to make changes which dselect believes are unsafe,
overriding dependencies, you can make whatever changes you like and
hit 'Q' to quit without resolving anything.

If you get lost and flustered, you can always hit 'X' and leave
without changing a thing.