Re: Harddisk controller

> > > <snip>
> will
> > > make
> at
> > > my
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > That's great, but it's a little hard to apply the patch if linux
> > > isn't installed yet. (obviously once it is installed you can then
> > > apply the patch (or build a newer kernel as I have done now)
> rather
> > > than use the lilo.conf method).
> > >
> > > Please excuse the nested brackets :)
> > >
> > > Barney
> >
> > A way to do it, could be to plug the harddrive directly to your
> board.
> > boot from the cd-rom like you normally do, patch your kernel and
> then
> > linux will discover your ata100 controller. then you can replug the
> calbe
> > to the ata100 controller
> >
> > /jens
> >

> The problem with this is that you need to change your fstab entries,
> and then on reboot you have to indicate the new location of the root
> partiton and then fix your lilo.conf. The way I suggested earlier in
> the thread (ie telling linux that there is a controller for ide2 and
> giving it the appropriate io adresses) is probably easier. (And you
> don't need to open the box :) )
>
> But hey whatever works for you :)
>
> Barney

OK I can see the problem. I'm about to install a new system with ata100
and a7v. So how does one install a complete new system if one can't boot
from the cd-rom and the 2.2.17 kernel (potato) does regognize the
controller??? (floppy boot perhaps???)
Has anyone tried to patch the 2.2.17 kernel with the patch from
www.linux-ide.org (and with the a7v) ????, and did it work??

There seems to be huge problems with the ata controlleres, but hey we are
here to solve problem :))))

/jens