Re: Using Netscape 6.0 and 4.74 together

on Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:53:13AM -0600, Kelly Corbin (kcorbin@theiqgroup.com) wrote:
> I have seen several people state that they have been able to make
> mozilla and netscape work on the same machine, but I was wondering if
> anyone has been able to get both versions of netscape (not mozilla) to
> work.
>
> The problem seems to me, that they both want to access .netscape, but
> they have different formats for that directory.  Is there a way to make
> the old netscape use a different directory?

I'd file this as a bug against Netscape.

I've dealt with a number of software packages which have an upgrade path
but for which older versions may be required for various compatibility
or interoperability reasons.  Ultimately, mature products tend to go for
configuration files of the form: "swpackage.version-number".

JWZ, of course, recognized this problem a long time ago, you'll find
some of his rants in the Netscape.ad file.