Re: Using Netscape 6.0 and 4.74 together

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>I've dealt with a number of software packages which have an upgrade path
>but for which older versions may be required for various compatibility
>or interoperability reasons.  Ultimately, mature products tend to go for
>configuration files of the form: "swpackage.version-number".

I couldn't agree more. trn4 was a pain in the neck to package in many
ways, as it became obvious that enough people wanted to stick with
trn-3.6 that it had to be possible to install both at the same time. I
ended up with a mildly complex set of alternatives and symbolic links
into /usr/lib/trn* to get the whole thing working, and it still uses
shared configuration in ~/.trn (though that shouldn't be a big problem -
I don't imagine many users will switch back and forth between them
often).

Whoever came up with the idea of library sonames that change when the
library's binary interface changes deserves a good deal of kudos.