Java and XWindows questions

Hi,
    I'm running Debian Linux 2.2.14-timesys with the RT extensions.
I've downloaded
Java JDK1.3 for Linux.  Documentation says it was tested on RedHat Linux
(no
mention of Debian).  When I try on run javac (the Java compiler), I get
an error
saying the library libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 could not be found.  This
library is not
on the system anywhere.  Where can I download this library?  Does this
version
of Java work on Debian Linux?

    Another problem-- I can't seem to find the correct config parameters
for
XF86config to configure my IBM ThinkPad 560E for XWindows.  All I know
is
what I read in the user's manual, (Super VGA, 800x600 resolution), and
nothing
seems to work.  Do you know the parameters to configure the IBM ThinkPad
560?
or where I can get them?  XWindows does not come up.

    Thanks for your help,

    Janet Borzuchowski

    janet_borzuchowski@stortek.com