Re: exim & mutt

On 11/24/00 00:36:47 -0200, Carlos Laviola wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a dial-up machine and want to properly configure it to send mail
> using exim (mutt uses it). I receive my POP messages normally with it
> (and other mail clients), but I don't know how can I properly configure
> exim, specially to handle the fact that my machine's hostname is dynamic
> (it tries to use its local hostname, which doesn't exist, since it is
> just "debian"). What should I do? Thank you.

I take it you mean that your email address with your isp is different
that your local email address, is this right?

At the end of the exim.conf file there is a section for rewriting
stuff. I'm not sure of your requirements, but I'm the only use on thsi
system, and so I'm the only one that sends mail from it. I have this
entry in the REWRITE CONFIGURATION section:

  mwagnon@smaug.com mwagnon1@home.com bcfrF

Here, my local mwagnon@smaug.com. My @home email address is
mwagnon1@home.com. So, I want to rewrite my local email address with
one that the world will recognize in all the appropriate places.
That's what the bcfrF is for. Each rewrites a heading in the email
header like so:

  b - blind copy
  c - courtesy copy
  f - from
  r - reply-to
  F - From

So whenever your local email address appears in any of these headers,
it will be rewritten with your "real" address.

HTH,

Mark

 ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (                        (