not breaking the "sources"

Hi!

I would like to install wxPython htat is available in woody, but not in potato. Last time I tried to download something thru dselect I broke my sources file.

My main sources are a 3cd set and this broke last time when I trid to update the packages files.

My q is:

How do I get wxPython, and realted, into my box without breaking the packages files? Do I have to download all the packages one by one, I think not but how else?

This q might completely confused/confusing but I'm a newbie to using dselect (and I suppose you'll tell me to use apt, but that tool I never tried)