exim and mtt probs continue

i continue to have problems setting up my email configuration. I have run eximconfig but have had trouble working out how to  answer some of the questions
I am not sure what is meant by some of the terms i.e. what is my visible mail name. To be honest i have used the default settings to set up exim i have no idea in most cases whether this is correct. I am dialling up to my isp using pon, I can't fine where to set up the isp smtp info re sending mail. Fetchmail seems to be ok but where does it write the emails to. I have installed mutt but when i run it i get the message that there is no /var/spool/mail/jmj directory jmj being my user name. Apparently exim should set this up for me/ I am truly at a loss. Mutt is also supposed to make a file called .muttrc in my home directory but this does not exist, apparently without it i cant specify which MTA i am using. Is there a mutt configuration script.  If you have any idea how to proceed. If it would be easier to use another MTA i am happy to do so although i hear that exim is the best.
thanks for your help
 very confused
jm