Re: exim and mtt probs continue

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 03:01:22PM -0000, John-Mark wrote:

> [...] what is my visible mail name [...]

The visible name should be the name you gave to your computer.

> I can't fine where to set up the isp smtp info re sending mail.

When exim asks for your smarthost, enter the name for your provider's smtp
server.

> Fetchmail seems to be ok but where does it write the emails to.

Your incoming mail will go to /var/spool/mail/jmj by default.

> I have installed mutt but when i run it i get the message that there is no
> /var/spool/mail/jmj directory jmj being my user name. Apparently exim should
> set this up for me/ I am truly at a loss.

Don't worry, just make sure it already exists.

> Mutt is also supposed to make a file called .muttrc in my home directory but
> this does not exist [...]

You have to do this yourself. There is a /etc/Muttrc which should already work
for you. You may want to copy it into your home directory and rename it as
'.muttrc'.

> If you have any idea how to proceed.

I also have a ppp-dialup-connection to my internet provider. Below are my
answers during /usr/sbin/eximconfig. Replace them with your's where necessary.

- What is the 'visible' name of your system:k-star
- Does this system have any other names?:none
- Are there any domains you want to relay mail for?:none
- Are there any networks of local machines you want to relay mail for?:none
- Would you like to use the RBL?:n
- Which machine will act as the smarthost?:smtp.netway.at
- Which user account should system administrator mail go to?:andy

After you have finished your configuration, you should check your
/etc/exim.conf for your rewriting rule in the section 'REWRITE CONFIGURATION'.
Make sure that it is enabled, i.e. uncommented.

Then you have to enter something like the following into your
/etc/email-addresses:

jmj:YourMailName@YourProviderName

Now you should be able to send and receive mail. If you want to use mutt's
mailboxes you have to configure procmail additionally.

I hope this helps.
By the way: Wrap your lines. Also make question marks when asking questions.
You will certainly be rewarded with better responses.

Kind regards,
Andreas.