Re: Postscript printers

When I researched all this several years ago, I found it's not HP's
development, it's a PostScript interpreter/raster image processor (RIP)
that's OEMed from a company that used to be named Xionics and appears to now
be named Oak Technology Products (www.oaktech.com). On their web site you
can see they sell this type of technology and have suggestive reference to
the HP product line, but neither they nor HP come right out and say it.

In the publishing world there are a variety of PostScript RIPs but in the
consumer electronics market the only ones that seem popular are Adobe and
Xionics (or now Oak, apparently).

In my experience working at a typesetting company, we had generally better
experience with the Xionics RIP than the Adobe. True, compatibility is an
issue but unless you are doing truly funky things with fonts (like making
your own) or need strict adherence to Adobe specifications for things like
screening, you'll not be at much risk. In particular, performance and
throughput were better in the QMS printers we loved dearly.

As far as using ghostscript to RIP PostScript to raster PCL, that's going to
be a waste of your computer's CPU and just increase the amount of data that
has to be delivered to the printer. PostScript is extremely efficient and
you're better off, if you want to print PostScript, to let the printer do
the work. Note I'm not saying anything about cost/benefit here. I prefer
PostScript because of its robustness. That's an opinion, others may prefer
PCL on the same merit, but I'm not aiming to start a flame war on that
topic.