RE: Debian installation from NT

Title: RE: Debian installation from NT

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, C. Falconer wrote:

> At 10:44 AM 11/13/00 -0200, you wrote:
> >     I've installed and configured Debian a lot of times in my local
> >network, always from our linux local debian mirror. But I've never installed
> >it from a NT mirror and now I'm having some troubles installing debian
> >via NFS from it.
>
> Does the local linux mirror use NFS to serve the files?  Does NT use NFS or
> SMB (a-la samba)  AFAIK NFS for NT is a separate product, and not part of
> the standard package.

Leen added:
>What I did ones was install an ftp server on the NT machine (you can grab
>them of the net for free, you could also use IIS or something for it, if
>you got it). Only problem I ran into was the symbolic links on my CD
>(where I copied it all from), so what I had to do, was move everything
>from binary-all to binary-i386 (or other architecture) to get things
>installed (otherwise you'll have zero length files :( ).

>But this was just as first install on a system with no CD-rom drive, later
>I definitly used a different way. :)

I tried doing a similar trick with installing Slink (Debian 2.1) via an FTP
server running on a Windows 2000 box (basically the FTP server root directory
was the W2K boxes CDROM).  The trouble I had is that I couldn't find a Windows
FTP server that would accept the 'I' command (set the transfer mode to
binary, same as 'bin').  I eventually gave up and installed the base set from
floppy, and the rest over the network.  Maybe they sorted this issue out in
Potato...

- Chris