Re: Gnome

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 05:50:24PM -0700, Clayton Stapleton wrote:
> > Hi Folks;
> > Have Gnome up and running but have two problems.
> > After entering "~/$gnome-session" I get the following
> > output:
> > 	/dev/dsp: No such device
> > 	Unable to bind port 16001
> > Then ran ~/$ls -l /dev/dsp to get the following
> > 	crw-rw----   root    audio
> > Added myself to the audio group with no change in the
> > output.
> > Any help will be appricated.
>

> no such device means you don't have any sound hardware, or at least
> your kernel does not think you do.  recompile your kernel and try
> again.

I have sound under Gnome (and KDE 2 too) but I still get the "Unable to bind
port 16001" message. The curious thing about my Gnome setup? I get ESD
(the Enlightenment Sound Daemon?) to run as root, but not as a regular user.
Thus as user "penguin" I don't have any of those funky Gnome event
sounds.

How can I tie down this mysterious port 16001?