Re: Q: Procedure to follow w/Compiled apps?

In a galaxy not too far away, Jonathan Gift spoke on Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 01:35:27PM +0100:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me...
>
> > 1. I have compiled and installed a new kernel. I'll keep the source in
> > place for future work, but what of the org bzImage? Does one leave
> > that in place as well or is it ok to remove it?
>
> >Sorry.  Where's that bzImage?  Under /usr/src/linux or in /boot?  If the
>
> The original in /usr/src/.../boot. When I ran make install it made a copy
> which it placed in /boot and linked to vmlinuz. So I have this extra
> original floating around doing nothing. Do I leave it? What do people do?
>
> >Usually I'll do the following with apps compiled from sources:
>
> >  - remove source tree
>
> ...once you've installed the binaries (and/or associated configuration
> and man pages), you can delete the source tree.
>
> Just delete the source directory from which I just compiled the app, that's
> it?
>
> > 3. The new app went in /usr/local/bin but I feel it belongs in
> /usr/lib/X11
> > with the other X apps. Is it a good idea to move it? Can I?
>
> >You can.  Generally, you shouldn't.
>
> Ok. Thanks for the advice.
>
> >Debian doesn't manage files under /home/<user/ or /usr/local.
>
> It was the Blackbox window manager I dl from Debian unstable. I thought it
> being a wm and all it had better be out of my own personal area...

if you dled the sources from unstable, you should really consider making a
.deb package out of it and install it via apt. you will have to dl the
.tag.gz sources, the .dsc file and all patches/diffs. then you can unpack the
sources by doing:
	dpkg-source -x foo.dsc
cd into the source directory and issue
	./debian/rules binary
when compilation is ready, you should have foo.deb in ../  - voila!

> > PS If I remove the source, can I still remove the app later? If so, how?
removing the app is no problem if you installed it with apt 8-)