Re: Viva la mutt (was Re: Question and goodbye...)

on Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 12:15:07AM -0600, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 06:50:17PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > on Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 06:07:11PM -0800, Erik Steffl (steffl@bigfoot.com) wrote:
> > > Francesco Bochicchio wrote:

<stuff on filtering>

> > >   you can do that in netscape as well...
> >
> > Yes and no and yes.
> >
> > Netscape has filtering capabilities.  They're not as flexible as
> > procmail (but they're easier to set up for basic functionality).  If
> > you're using a POP mailbox and Netscape's built-in fetchmail
> > functionality, this is an acceptable start.
>
> i just took one on the chin because of netscape's email.
>
> with filters, you have netscape drop incoming mail into thisfolder or
> thatfolder, and any folder that gets new mail is spozed to be hilited
> (name is bold) so you know to look in there for the new missives.
>
> my number one client had been emailing me for a week before i got a
> nasty phone message asking what was taking me so long.
>
> one i emptied netscape's email trash folder, wherein it
> compresses/compacts all other folders, the hiliting started working
> again.
>
> never had that problem with mutt.

There's an option somewhere under Netscape (I just run Navigator -- fsck
all the Communicator cr*p, so I can't check) to compress folders or
somesuch -- it re-does the indexing.  My observation was that it's a
good idea to do this periodically for reasons similar to the above
story.

...though I've had Mutt fail to report new posts in certain folders
(possibly 'coz I've got another dozen terminals open running mutt
elsewhere <g>).  But doing an 'Od' sort (reverse date order) of my
folders will indicate which have been modified most recently.  Usually
straightforward to find new mail.  This with some 40-odd folders in
active use.