Re: Stradling the fence

on Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 02:08:36PM -0800, Peak Allan (apeak_2000@yahoo.com) wrote:
> --- kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > on Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 06:26:17PM -0800, Peak Allan
> > (apeak_2000@yahoo.com) wrote:
> > > I'm currently using mostly potato, but I've pulled a few packages
> > > from woody.  If I change the sources.list back to potato will it
> > > mess up anything?
> >
> > Chances are that if you've done "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade",
> > you've now got a potato system.
> >
> > There's not really good way to straddle distributions.  If you want
> > a specific Potato package, best method may be to download the .deb
> > and attempt to install it.  You'll have to resolve dependencies
> > yourself, however.
> >
> > I'm running Potato on both my home and work desktops, pretty happy
> > with it.  There are occasional breakages, but they are rare and
> > generally resolved fairly quickly.  YMMV.  Woody is *not*
> > recommended for production servers.

> I haven't done an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" since I
> installed the woody packages.  However I'm concerned that I may be
> missing out on security upgrades.  I'm thinking about going all the
> way to woody, but I'm worried about stability.  I have a single-user
> home desktop and don't need rock solid stability and I do like having
> the latest and greatest, but I'm also a newbie with limited time and
> skills and I like something that works.
>                            Allan

You misunderstand the distinction between stable and unstable.  Both bug
and security fixes are back-ported to the stable distribution.  The
unstable track will see both new packages *and* changes in
functionality, some of which may break things.

Stick with Potato and run

    $ apt-get update && apt-get upgrade --download-only

regularly (this can be run as a cron job -- it archives updates locally
on your system but doesn't install them).  To upgrade, complete the step
with 'apt-get upgrade'.  You'll be current for bugfixes and security
patches.

My suggestion is to stick with Potato until you're fairly comfortable
with Debian.  If you find you're missing features included in Woody, go
ahead and try out unstable.  As I said, results tend to be pretty good,
but it's called unstable for a reason.