Re: New X Server crashes

"Phillip" == Phillip Deackes <gsmh@gmx.co.uk> writes:

MAS> I just upgraded all the X packages to 4+ versions in unstable, and now
MAS> my X server won't run.

Phillip> When I did 'apt-get -u dist-upgrade' I noticed that
Phillip> task-x-window-system-core was maked as held back. After the
Phillip> upgrade I still had my v3.3.6 servers on the system. I did
Phillip> 'apt-get install task-x-window-system-core' and the final
Phillip> part of the new X install was carried out. After that
Phillip> everything ran fine. It looked like it needed a two stage
Phillip> upgrade.

Okay, it appears to be working now.  What I did was:

1. `apt-get install task-x-window-system-core'
2. Manually edit /etc/X11/Xserver to refer to /usr/bin/X11/XFree86.
3. Run `xf86config' to generate a new valid config file.
4. Copy a ModeLine directive from my old XF86Config file.

Of these, 1, 3, and 4 could be better documented, and 2 shouldn't be
necessary at all, since I did tell it when installing to make itself
the default X server.  Of course I could have screwed up somewhere
else.

And now Emacs can display italics in the standard font!  Woo-hoo!

\\// | R | T R | L B | //\\ ~ Michael Abraham Shulman
mailto:shulman@caltech.edu  ~ jabber://mas@jabber.org
http://kurukshetra.cjb.net/ ~ GnuPG Public Key #21A279E5

The lottery is just a tax on people who are bad at math.