Re: Can I combine installing from CD with ftp?

on Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 06:49:01PM -0400, Scott V. McGuire (svmcguir@syr.edu) wrote:

> Is it possible to install mostly from CD but get any updated packages
> over the net?  I imagine this could be done after rebooting when
> dselect runs.  Would this work, or would dselect try to get everything
> over the net and ignore the CD?
>
> Of course "apt-get update", "apt-get dist-upgrade" after installation
> isn't so hard; but skipping a step would be nice.
>
> Could I also use this method to install straight to woody?

Yes, you can.

My preferred MO is to install just the minimal base system, then update
everything off the net.  Either slowly over time, adding packages as I
need them, or by doing a "dpkg --get-selections > file" on an existing
box with a preferred configuration then "dpkg --set-selections < file"
on the new box.

"Over the net" is Debian's raison d'etre.