Re: Sound on Diamond Sonic Impact, searching for a appropiate module

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 04:59:30PM +0200, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:

> Ok, it seems that although the Deb2.2 installation routine (on a clean
> disk) did not compile any OSS sound module. Looking in
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/ did not help, no file with a "OSS" in it.
> What is "soundlow" and "soundcore" used for?

No, no, the OSS drivers do not have "OSS" in them.  I'm sorry that I
can't be more help (as I said, I use ALSA instead), but you need to
find out what the module for your card is.  It likely has some
sort-of short version of the chipset name on it.  (You really need
drivers for your _chip_, not your board.)

> Debian provides the tool  "xviddetect"  (is this a 2.2.17 related
> function or one written by the debian developers?) which gave out:

I don't know what your video card would have to do with your sound
card.  Even if you had a board with both video and sound support (do
you?!  I didn't even know there were such things), the video portion
would not be relevant to the support for the sound.

> Just having a look at the new system pertubed me - there is no
> /usr/src/linux directory!

You likely haven't installed the kernel-source package for your
preferred kernel.

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4