dpkg and dependecies

is there anyway to get dpkg or even apt-get to reslove dependencies while
installing? for some reason (i think i missed something during the
install) my system is missing a large amount of needed programs and
libraries, such that anytime i try to install a program i usually install
several other programs and/or libraries also. just wondering if there is a
way to automate this. thanks.

---
Joseph Holland King  | "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our