Re: pop-authenticate before SMTP?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 04:00:17PM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:

> Moritz, If you can give me/us all the rundown on how to acheive this, or
> point to some good docs that would be great.  Tried ages ago on mandrake but
> ran foul of the DUL list

You'll still run into problems with the DUL.  The simplest thing to do
would probably be to use the relay provided by your ISP (which shouldn't
need any authentication) or use a real authentication method for
outbound mail such as client certificates in TLS or UUCP over TCP.

If you must stick with POP before SMTP then you might find that
configuring fetchmail and then starting it in daemon mode from your
ip-up scripts before the MTA starts trying to deliver outbound mail
would do the trick.  You may find putting in a sleep before firing the
queue helps.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/