Re: fullscreen video playback

There are those who would have you believe that Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, matt garman wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, if you define a videomode closer to the resolution of the video you're
> > > playing, SDL fullscreen mode should switch the Xserver to that mode, I think.
> > > This is obviously not even close to a good hardware-based scale-and-dirther
> > > solution, but at least the movies will not be played in a small rectangle
> > > with huge black borders anymore :-)
> >
> > On a local newsgroup, someone said I need the "dbe" module loaded in order
> > to let SDL to video mode switching.  What package provides the dbe module?
> >
> > I'm running Debian 2.2, with the xfree 3.3.6 package.  I can't find any
> > relevant dbe files on my system.  In fact, I don't even have the directory
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules on my computer.
>
> Well, SC3000 did that for me, under xf 3.3.6 and SDL in its default (debian)
> configuration. The only thing I did was to provide the proper videomodes (as
> in I can select them using Ctrl+Alt++ and Ctrl+Alt+-).  I don't even know
> what a dbe module is :-)

This is key: you need to have the right modelines in your XF86Config,
and MPEGs tend to use odd modes such as 352x240.  I don't know where
you'd find modelines for these resolutions, but I'd check the mpegtv
docs and website first.  The program might be smart enough to pick
the closest available resolution, so if the closest mode you have
available is 640x400 or 512x384 it might use one of those instead.