Re: debian-user-digest Digest V100 #323

take me off thsi leist
--- Begin Message ---
debian-user-digest Digest				Volume 100 : Issue 323

Today's Topics:
  upgrading debian with an aol connect  [ Jenserikthys@aol.com ]
  Re: IMWheel help                      [ Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> ]
  Re: a whole bunch of questions        [ Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org ]
  deb package documentation             [ Stephen nyc <stephennyny@yahoo.com> ]
  Re: IMWheel help                      [ Snowfox <snowfox@snowfox.net> ]
  Conexion a internet                   [ ROBERTOCALVENTE <ROBERTOCALVENTE@te ]
  Kernel-image 2.2.17 and disk write p  [ Snowfox <snowfox@snowfox.net> ]
  Re: upgrading debconf error           [ Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> ]
  Re: (Psion) plptools compilation err  [ cjw44@flatline.org.uk (Colin Watson ]
  kmail (kde2) and exim                 [ Mario Olimpio de Menezes <mario@cur ]
  Apt-Get troubles                      [ Wikoff <Wikoff@cadmus.com> ]
  Re: telnet doesn't find localhost     [ Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpc ]
  Re: telnet doesn't find localhost     [ Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpc ]
  Re: fsplit                            [ kmself@ix.netcom.com ]
  Re: DB2                               [ kmself@ix.netcom.com ]
  Re: Help: gv not reading *.gz files?  [ kmself@ix.netcom.com ]
  Re: deb package documentation         [ kmself@ix.netcom.com ]
  duplicating setup machine             [ John Chambers <JLChambers@Kliklok.c ]
  Re: Conexion a internet               [ Antonio Rodriguez <arodriguez@world ]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
could somebody tell me how i could upgrade debian 2.2 trough an aol
connection with windows ;

downloading first the files to the hd  and dselect  with the file option ?

   .~.    Linux : le meilleur moyen de faire fonctionner ses neurones
   /V\
   // \\   Linux : the best therapy there is for somebody's brain
  /(   )\  debian 2.2  potato    thanks tomsrtbt for the logo
   ^`~'^

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I realize that the mouse won't work in both gpm and X (without the
repeat function) in many cases, but it does for me so I haven't really
questioned it (!)  /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux, of course.

I have a problem with gpm occasionally not working correctly, but
'/etc/init.d/gpm restart' always fixes that.

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 06:10:01PM +0200, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> The error recommends to use "xhost"  - but this seems to be a GUI app
> and therefore dies for the same reasons as previously launching emacs.
> How can I help myself, would running xhost fruit in a working GUI when
> changing to su?

No, xhost isn't a GUI app, but you have to run in as the user you actually
logged in as (mosr specifically, as the user who owns the X session), not
sued to root.  By default, root neither has permission to open windows on
your desktop, nor to give himself that permission.

BTW, if you're going to use xhost (it's not the most secure way of handling
this, but it is the easiest), use 'xhost localhost', not the name of your
machine.  It'll open the door wide enough for anyone on your machine to put
windows on your desktop, but without allowing any possibility for someone to
do it over the network.

> Then, I cannot get my Diamond Sonic Impact 90 to work. gtcd starts,
> accepts the CD, playes the first track but the speakers remain
> quitely.

Have you turned the volume up?  Try gom ('gom -it' on a command line) or
another mixer to see what your volume settings are if you haven't already.

> Oct 23 16:13:44 MINI kernel: hdd: packet command error: status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Oct 23 16:13:44 MINI kernel: hdd: packet command error: error=0x40

> Which line could relate to the soundcard?

None of them are sound-related, but it looks like you've got some definite
problems with your CDROM.

> ...which states there should be somewhere a sound module, but
> cat /etc/modules.conf|grep -A 4 sound
> returnes no output.

Did you build your own kernel?  If so, did you remember to make modules and
make modules_install?  (Or module_install...  I can never remember which it
is...)

> Does dselect build up a database for all indexed packages? I cannot
> find wine by running "dpkg -l wine" or "dpkg -l | grep wine" although
> the debian installation routine was fed by all 4 CD's. Neither does
> dpkg seem to support a query routine simular to rpm.

A database of available packages is maintained by apt.  To search it, use
`apt-cache search packagename`.  Once you know the name of the package, you
can get the details on it with `apt-cache show packagename`.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Folks -

Where can I get a copy of the documentation included
in a .deb package (ipmasq specifically).

I haven't installed debian yet, and I'm currently
sitting on an NT box at the office.

Is this available on-line, or do I have to get it from
the package? Is there an NT based tool that will open
a .deb package?

Thanks for your help.

- Steve

http://im.yahoo.com/

mouse type imps2 coming off /dev/psaux, repeat type "raw"

x windows:
mouse type imps2 coming off /dev/gpm

I never have to restart gpm. The only time I have a problem is when
interrupts are missed for unrelated reasons; that sends the mouse
driver into a funny mode, from which you can recover by rolling the
mouse wheel back and forth a couple times.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 09:49:54AM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> I realize that the mouse won't work in both gpm and X (without the
> repeat function) in many cases, but it does for me so I haven't really
> questioned it (!)  /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux, of course.
>
> I have a problem with gpm occasionally not working correctly, but
> '/etc/init.d/gpm restart' always fixes that.
>
> Bob
>
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 10:44:14AM -0500, robhr@core.com wrote:
> > I notice in your config that you don't have gpm being used as a repeater
> > device (I.E. the -R option).  That won't work will it?  I've always had
> > to make gpm repeat and have X use /dev/gpmdata in order to make gpm and
> > X work correctly with the mouse.  How can you get gpm and X to both work
> > without that option?  Is your /dev/mouse a symlink to /dev/psaux as I am
> > assuming?
> >
> > I was able to get the scrolling wheel to work if I disabled gpm and used
> > the IMPS/2 protocol in the X config file (along with the ZAxisMapping),
> > but I couldn't get it to work with /dev/gpmdata and MouseSystems
> > protocol, which are the two I've always had to use to get X and gpm to
> > play nice.  Is there another way?
> >
> > Rob

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hola, me llamo roberto y os escribi un e-mail el otro dia. Mi pregunta
era y sigue siendo la siguiente:

como me puedo conectar a internet con Linux?????

Tengo instalada la Debian 2.2 potato, un modem zoltrix externo 56k y
pentium 200 MMX.

Lo intenté con el wvdial y parece que conecta ya que el modem hace el
ruido estridente de comprobar el ancho de banda, y luego me comprueba
el login y el password del ISP, a continuacion me pone starting pppd.
Por lo que supongo que ha conectado. Sin embargo, cuando ejecuto el
netscape no entra en ninguna pagina, solo me sale conect loking
www.direccion que le doy y ya esta no puedo entrar en ninguna pagina.

Por favor, si alguien sabe como puedo arreglarlo mandenme un e-mail a
robertocalvente@terra.es

Gracias.

Consigue tu e-mail gratuito TERRA.ES
 Haz click en http://www.terra.es/correo/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm using the 2.2.17 kernel-image on a system. The whole system
seems to pause briefly when commiting data to the IDE hard drive.
This has never happened with my own kernel builds, however I
can't see any relevant differences in the configuration.

I just tried this on another system and I see a similar effect;
one has a BX chipset, the other a VIA 82c686a chipset.

Any clue what's likely causing this?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Jaume Teixi wrote:
> Setting up debconf (0.4.02) ...
> Can't locate object method "value" via package
> "Debian::DebConf::Question" at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 31.
>
> dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
>
> how can I proced with shuch error ?

This is fixes in debconf 0.4.03, which in in Incoming now and will be
installed in a few hours.

--
see shy jo

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
andre.berger@topmail.de wrote:
>cjw44@flatline.org.uk (Colin Watson) writes:
>> The code then compiles fine - well, there are a few warnings
>> (two-digit years - I can only hope this is just something that the Psion
>> link protocol requires), but nothing fatal.
>
>Now I get:
>
>Making all in plpftp
>make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andre/plptools-0.6/plpftp'
>g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include -I../lib    -O2 -Wall -c ftp.cc
>ftp.cc: In method `int ftp::session(rfsv &, rpcs &, int, char **)':
>ftp.cc:339: warning: `%c' yields only last 2 digits of year in some locales
>ftp.cc:369: warning: `%c' yields only last 2 digits of year in some locales
>ftp.cc:461: warning: `%c' yields only last 2 digits of year in some locales
>ftp.cc: In function `char ** do_completion(char *, int, int)':
>ftp.cc:916: ANSI C++ prohibits conversion from `(char *, int)' to `(...)'
>ftp.cc:937: ANSI C++ prohibits conversion from `(char *, int)' to `(...)'

My fault for not testing it before suggesting you install
libreadline4-dev. :)

I can get it to compile by inserting the cast '(CPFunction *)'
immediately before 'command_generator' in line 916 and immediately
before 'filename_generator' in line 937 (so I end up with
'matches = completion_matches(text, (CPFunction *)command_generator);',
etc.).

I can't swear that all this is actually going to work; the suggestions
I've made are the correct ways to get the code to compile, as far as I
know, but they may mask other problems. If it doesn't *run*, the author
is probably the best person to hassle. :)

>Maybe there's something wrong with my development equipment?

No, your development environment seems to be behaving exactly the same
way as mine, and I'm pretty sure mine works.

Cheers,

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

	I'm trying to use kmail from kde2 as MUA but it's not relating
well with exim.
	Whenever I try to send an email, after set mail smtp host and
port, exim complains about DATA being sent before RCPT TO. The exact
message is:

Response: 503 Valid RCPT TO <recepient> must preced DATA

	Is there any special configuration for kmail to use exim.

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21
                   http://www.revistalinux.com.br

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have just installed debian with the minimum install option.  I was in the
process of using apt-get to install blackbox (my favorite windowmanager )
when I had some depend problems I let apt-get download the depends and
finished the install.

The problem I am having is now when I use apt-get I get a seg. fault:
line 20 185 seg. fault $APTGET $OPTS update
update available list script returned error exit status 139

No matter what I do with apt-get I get a seg. fault.

Any Ideas??
Shane

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
:: Michael P Soulier writes:

>     I have a /etc/init.d/network script on my potato box with these commands:

> #! /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0

Hm, I did

socrates:/home/jeronimo#  ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
socrates:/home/jeronimo#  route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo

And still it didn't work.

But in my /etc/init.d/network, I had only the first line.

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
:: Christoph Simon writes:

>> > Hello...
>> >
>> >   This is probably a known problem. I checked the BTS some time ago,
>> >   and tehre was a bug filed against telnet, I guess... It couldn't
>> >   resolve "localhost".

> Do you have an alias for localhost, something like

> 127.0.0.1	localhost	mybox.mynet

Yes:

127.0.0.1	localhost	socrates loghost

And I can't telnet to loghost either.

> I remember having had a similar problema (long time ago), and since
> then I always give a local address to ``mybox.mynet'', which is
> different from 127.0.0.1

What do you mean? How did you do that? (Or, where can I find some more
info about it?)

Thank you!
J.

--

on Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 02:36:17PM +0200, Danny Lathouwers (D.Lathouwers@IRI.TUDELFT.NL) wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> Does anyone know whether the fsplit utility is packaged?
> (fsplit splits binary or source files in more likable pieces).

    $ apropos split

returns, among others, split:

    $ man split

It's part of the textutils package.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
on Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 08:37:42AM -0500, Cavaiani, Don (Don.Cavaiani@plexus.com) wrote:
> I have downloaded DB2 for Linux from IBM.  I am on version 2.0.38.  Has
> anyone tried to install this trial DB2 on Debian yet??  Will it work with
> 2.0.38 or do I need to upgrade??
>
> If upgrading is necessary, can someone point me to a simple set of
> instructions.  If I upgrade, will I likely lose some of the "settings" I
> currently have ??

Your kernel version shouldn't matter.

DB/2 installs vary in success.  I've had some luck installing a release
this past spring on Red Hat, though I found none of the individual
documentation sources were sufficient to make this happen.  I posted
results to a number of newsgroups, you might try a Deja search for
details.

Note that DB/2's default installation directory is something horribly
broken like /bin/db2 or /usr/db2, and that it comes in RPM only, last I
checked.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
on Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 05:12:51PM +0200, Jonathan Gift (jgift@wanadoo.fr) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have no trouble reading *ps.gz files using hghostview and gv under
> Mandrake, but loading ghostview and gsfonts under Debian I find myself
> unable to open *.gz ending files. I have to uncompress them to read. Any
> thoughts? Maybe a default config Mandrake used but Debian doesn't?

Try looking at what Mandrake's "gv" executable is.  Even odds says it's
a shell script wrapper which will decompress and view a compressed file.

Try:

    $ zcat foo.ps.gz > /tmp/foo.ps && gv /tmp/foo.ps

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
on Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 10:19:58AM -0700, Stephen nyc (stephennyny@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Folks -
>
> Where can I get a copy of the documentation included
> in a .deb package (ipmasq specifically).

What exactly do you mean?

Do you want a description of the .deb file format, or the contents of a
specific .deb file?

Format is described under the developer's section of documentation at
debian.org.  A .deb is a shell archive (shar) file, you can extract
cotents with "ar -x" on any GNU/Linux or Linux-like system.

> I haven't installed debian yet, and I'm currently
> sitting on an NT box at the office.
>
> Is this available on-line, or do I have to get it from
> the package? Is there an NT based tool that will open
> a .deb package?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
What are the easy ways to duplicate an existing
setup debian machine to other machines?

John Chambers

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Shortly: Thinks connects to isp with Debian 2.2 potato, modem zoltrix external 56k,
pentium 200 ,wvdial. Netscape does not go beyond "looking"

If you want wide help, write in English -si quieres amplia ayuda, escribe en ingles-.