Apt-Get troubles

I have just installed debian with the minimum install option.  I was in the
process of using apt-get to install blackbox (my favorite windowmanager )
when I had some depend problems I let apt-get download the depends and
finished the install.

The problem I am having is now when I use apt-get I get a seg. fault:
line 20 185 seg. fault $APTGET $OPTS update
update available list script returned error exit status 139

No matter what I do with apt-get I get a seg. fault.

Any Ideas??
Shane