Re: OT: Mailing list help (was Re: GnuPG: prblem installing on Woody)

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 11:23:54AM -0400, Chris Gray (cgray@tribsoft.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 02:27:04AM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > Better more data than less, particularly if I ask for it.  I've been
> > getting mightily peeved lately by people who post "how do I solve foo"
> > to which I reply "post output of <command list>"...which never happens.
> > I'm going to start killfiling idiots like that real soon, then I'm going
> > to take out hits on them....
> >
> > But enough of that.

<...>

> When you say "post output of <command list>", you probably have some
> idea what's going on but want confirmation (otherwise, you'd just be
> adding noise).
>
> So instead of just saying "post output of <command list>", say "if
> <command list> returns foo then do bar, if it returns baz then do quux,
> otherwise post it and let me have a look at it."  The games of 20
> questions and gratuitous posts of outputs do not make for interesting
> reading or even very helpful help to the people that asked in the first
> place.

Extreme disagreement.

If the person had enough experience (to be completely distinguished from
intelligence, these are totally different aspects [1]) to know what to post,
they would have done so in the first place.  As he or she did not, I'm
asking for the data I would look for on my own system to resolve the
same issue.

The simple truth is that email support puts the supporter and the
supportee at two ends of a high latency, and often low-bandwidth, pipe.
I can't see the problem they have, they can't see the range of solutions
(or hints -- I'm frequently wrong, but elimination of possibilities is
part of the process) I may possess.

The best exposition of this problem I've seen in recent years was by
Jeff Covey at Freshmeat.net on how to report a bug, and issues people
should be aware of:

    http://freshmeat.net/news/2000/02/26/951627540.html

So:  I ask for diagnostic outputs which may point to the problem at
hand.  Frequently I find that it's some basic fundamental step which has
been missed, and which has been completely overlooked by the original
poster.  Diagnostics help.  If the output volume is too high, I *will*
trim extraneous data.  Better that the original be posted (and eyes
other than mine see it), *then* have editing by someone who (maybe)
knows what he's talking about, than have random redaction by a newbie.

> This is just a suggestion and you in particular do a very good job in
> helping a lot of people so I hope you can take it in the spirit that it
> is offered.  And of course it is a very general suggestion that I know
> won't work in all cases.

Thank you.

> Finally, killfiling lurkers is going to make for a large .procmailrc but
> is not going to do all that much.

It's not the lurkers, it's the idiots who don't realize they've got to
help me help them.  I can't see their problem or state:  I need more
data.  And yes, I usually give a second chance -- though I range back
and forth through levels of irritability.  Third requests are usually
last ones.  My time is freely offered, not reimbursed.  I prefer not
wasting it.

...and if it wasn't mind-bogglingly obvious, taking out hits on idiots
was a bit of hyperbole (though I have to say the thought warms my heart
in dark moments....).

My philosophy on support is to provide hints and guidance, not a crutch.
If the appropriate response is to read the man page on some command,
I'll say just that:  "man foo".  I *don't* believe in flaming someone on
their first request for assistance unless it's truly mindless -- there
was a thread this week in the OpenBSD misc mailing list launched by Theo
de Raat, prominently featuring the phrase "too low a lifeform"[2].
That's completely uncalled for, IMO.  Though I may chide, I try to avoid
direct insult (unless it's richly deserved).  Even where I disagree, I
try to do it as here:  state disagreement, support assertion.

I'll occasionally write a longer reply when it's philosophy more than
mechanics at hand (e.g.:  here).  Some of these I've compiled into FAQs
and micro-HOWTOs, currently I've got prepared texts on backups,
GNU/Linux books, partitioning, XDM disabling, SSH RSA key authentication,
Samba mounts, and sudo.  Questions I've answered enough times, in enough
depth, to have a standard response.  Jeff's Bug rant is close to
becoming same.

[1] And yes, as a matter a fact, I *do* remember wondering what all
those weird "/" things were that I had to type, once upon a time, many,
many moons ago, when the world and I were young.....Ignorance is
curable.  Stupidity isn't.  I'm willing to assume the former until
proven otherwise.

[2] Theo's post:
http://www.sigmasoft.com/~openbsd/archive/openbsd-misc/200010/msg01040.html