Re: CD-drive blocked after successless mounting

mike wrote:

>         Try /usr/bin/eject /cdrom or /dev/hd?.

I did so, but with no success :(

I think the problem is, that the CD remains in a "twilight" status:
neither mounted nor unmounted.

Thank you very much anyway.
Andreas.

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 01:23:47 +0200
From: Andreas Hetzmannseder <hetzmann@netway.at>
To: "Kasatenko Ivan Alex." <skywriter@rnc.ru>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Problem with '/etc/shutdown.allow'

"Kasatenko Ivan Alex." wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> Monday, October 16, 2000, 8:26:20 PM, you wrote:
>
> AH> There are two users on my debian system, who I want to be able to reboot
> AH> and halt without being root. For this purpose I created
> AH> /etc/shutdown.allow with the corresponding user names. Now when I press
> AH> Ctrl-Alt-Del the system will reboot as expected - although I have to be
> AH> logged in as a qualified user, according to shutdown.allow.
>
> When you press Ctrl+Alt+Del, init(1) gets it and executes reboot
> sequence, afaik. So, the only right way in this situation is to
> disable Ctrl+Alt+Del at all.

Sorry, Ivan, I didn't make this very clear. I *do* want to use
Ctrl-Alt-Del. I just wanted to point out that it is behaving
differently, since I have '/etc/shutdown.allow'. Now I have to be logged
in at least as a normal user - that wasn't the case before...

> AH> [...] However when I attempt to type 'shutdown -a -r now' or
> AH> 'shutdown -a -h now' by myself, it says 'shutdown: command not found'.
> AH> I still have to be root in this case.
>
> Add /usr/sbin into your path with:
> >> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
> in BASH, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Actually 'shutdown' is in /sbin - so I added /sbin to my path...

> Everything should work.

Now when I type 'shutdown -a -h now' it still tells me, I have to be
root. It looks like I have to set a SUID-flag. But I would prefer a
better solution. Otherwise: What would 'shutdown.allow' bX-MoX-Mozilla-Status: 0009ery much, anyway.
Best regards,
Andreas.