CD-drive blocked after successless mounting

Hello, debian-users!

I have two CD-drives: one for regular use and one for additional
writing.

I have been experiencing problems, when I tried to read burned CDs
in the regular drive - well, that wouldn't matter much to me, but I
wanted to try it out anyway. Here is what happened:

    $ mount /cdrom
    [... lots of error messages ...]
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was
           specified

So I pressed the eject key but it was blocked.
I typed 'umount /cdrom' but it told me that cdrom was not mounted.
So I was left with the CD stuck in the "wrong" drive, which was neither
mounted nor unmounted...

Of course a reboot would always help me out, but is there another way
to unlock a CD-drive?

If anyone knows one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas.