Problem with '/etc/shutdown.allow'

Hello, debian-users!

There are two users on my debian system, who I want to be able to reboot
and halt without being root. For this purpose I created
/etc/shutdown.allow with the corresponding user names. Now when I press
Ctrl-Alt-Del the system will reboot as expected - although I have to be
logged in as a qualified user, according to shutdown.allow.

This looks perfectly reasonable to me as this procedure is described in
/etc/inittab. However when I attempt to type 'shutdown -a -r now' or
'shutdown -a -h now' by myself, it says 'shutdown: command not found'.
I still have to be root in this case.

'man shutdown' tells me that I should add an entry in /etc/inittab, but
I don't know what to enter... Can somebody help me please?

Or am I simply doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas.