Re: Syncronize pc-clock w/timeserver

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would like to use netdate to syncronize my computer's
> timesetting with that of a timeserver but no matter what
> timeserver address I pass to netdate I get the following
> lacklustre message:
>
> 	   Connection with udp to x.x.x.x failed
>

> I converted to Debian a couple of weeks ago and this used to
> work in SuSE. Does anyone know what I need to fix?

Do you have network connectivity with the timeserver? Can you ping it?

> Also if you have some other advice for me based on some
> package(s) (instead of netdate) that are in Debian 2.2 that
> would appreciated.

There are a few options that I know of:

	- ntp, which does a very good job of synchronizing your computer's
clock with some timeservers with the NTP protocol

	- ntpdate, does a one time synchronize with a set of timeservers,
also using the NTP protocol

	- rdate, sets the local time from another host

There is another one that I can't think of right now, that advertises to
keep the clock up to date without the complexity and perhaps resource
requirements of ntp.

I use npt on all my machines.