Re: does fsck (stable) ever hang?

    KM>  So badblocks works on an IDE drive? The manpage says: BUGS I
    KM> had no chance to make reals tests of this program since I use
    KM> IDE drives which remap bad blocks. I only made some tests on
    KM> floppies.  -chris

Hmmm, just checked the manpage. Couldn't find the above snippet you
mention. It seems that the woody/unstable version of badblocks works
without any problems on IDE drives. I have used it a few times already
on my IDE drives, the only problem was when DMA was enabled on an IDE
drive.

You can either try and install the woody version on your potato system,
or better yet grab the sources and compile for your potato system and
use that instead of deb-ianized packages.

badblocks is part of the e2fsprogs package. On my woody system, the
version is:

ii  e2fsprogs   1.19-2   The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com