dhcpcd & potato

hi-

i'm working on switching from static ip addresses to dynamic using dhcp on my massive private network (all 3 machines are currently arranged around my chair <grin>). i've gotten what should be a working server daemon running on the relevant machine, but when i try to load the dhcpcd client daemon on another it fails and kills the eth0 interface. i've tried the debug option, but nothing is written. i've done a few web searches around this but not found anything that seems to speak to this. could it relate to the card driver? i'm using the realtek rtl8139, which always seems to be included in the partial or incomplete list of drivers.

john cuson