Re: does fsck (stable) ever hang?

    KM>  Just trying to isolate my machine-hanging problem..  (didn't
    KM> find anything relevant in /usr/doc/e2fsprogs) -chris

I have had this happen to me: my HD had "developed" some bad
sectors. The machine froze. I rebooted only to find that fsck that was
being run during startup on the partitions in /etc/fstab would hang when
it got to checking the partition that had the bad sectors.

The problem also seemed to be made worse due to the fact that I had DMA
enabled.

The only solution was to :

 - disable DMA mode on that HD (using hdparm)
 - running badblocks on the partition that I suspected of having bad
   sectors
 - feeding the output of badblocks to e2fsck which I ran after badblocks

One other thing: when this happened to me a few weeks ago, I was running
woody (unstable). I don't run the stable dists, ever.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com