Re: Printer configuration on debian - Another question

	Subject: Printer configuration on debian - Another question
	Date: Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 09:19:21AM -0300

Quoting romeu@petrobras.com.br(romeu@petrobras.com.br):

> So, I have my modem running under my debian installation. Thanks to the
> ones who helped me.
> Next step (no, it's not an OS): Setting up the printer.
> I have printtool installed, so I'm able to set my printer up.
> When I run printtool and click Add, it says:
> lp0: there's no printer (or something like that).
> lp1: there's no printer.
>
> The problem is:
> The device lp0 is not bound to parport. I recompiled the kernel, installing
> parport issues (I think auto-detection). In the system initialization,
> debian gives me the message: parport0: HEWLLET-PACKARD DESKJET 690, or
> something like that.
> But when I type the command cat /proc/parport/0/devices, the only thing it
> says is plip. I think it should be plip lp0, shouldn't it? Or should I
> remove (how?) plip and bound (how?) lp0?

Have you put into your lilo.config append statement a parport
statement?

append = "hdd=cdrom lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"

The none tells my system _not_ to use an IRQ so it polls the printer
instead.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
Real Time, adj.:
  Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.