Printer configuration on debian - Another question

So, I have my modem running under my debian installation. Thanks to the
ones who helped me.
Next step (no, it's not an OS): Setting up the printer.
I have printtool installed, so I'm able to set my printer up.
When I run printtool and click Add, it says:
lp0: there's no printer (or something like that).
lp1: there's no printer.

The problem is:
The device lp0 is not bound to parport. I recompiled the kernel, installing
parport issues (I think auto-detection). In the system initialization,
debian gives me the message: parport0: HEWLLET-PACKARD DESKJET 690, or
something like that.
But when I type the command cat /proc/parport/0/devices, the only thing it
says is plip. I think it should be plip lp0, shouldn't it? Or should I
remove (how?) plip and bound (how?) lp0?

Thanks,

Gaucho