Re: Curse these cursed signal errors!

	Subject: Curse these cursed signal errors!
	Date: Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 07:00:53AM -0600

Quoting Matheson(mkar1@uswest.net):
> Hey,
>
> I keep getting Signal error 4 wihle trying to compile my kernel, and I get a signal error 11 while using WindowMaker (trying to switch themes, etc.)  I know that signal errors are supposed to be hardware, but I can't see how mine is.  I've replaced my motherboard, RAM, and Hard drive, and I've swapped CPU's with my friend to try this (he can compile just fine).  I'm quite confused.  These are my system specs if this helps:

I had problems compiling the kernel on my AMD K6-200.  Would Sig 11
but if I kept doing the make bzImage it would finish after 3-12 tries.
Solved the problem (1) by under clocking the CPU, dropped the clock
from 200 to 166Mhz.  That worked for a month or so and then it started
doing the same thing again but this time reporting memory errors.
Solved it again by replacing the ram (an old 32M DIMM) with a 128M
PC100 SIMM.  Then adjusted all the memory timings to their lowest
values, in the BIOS.

The clock is still at 166 and the system now runs faster then it did
with the original setup.  Bogomips went from 300 with the old setup to
333 with the slower clock and better ram.

I found the Bios memory settings by using Google.com.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space.